Making the decision to go to flight school is a big one. It can change the course of your life. So, it’s best not to just wing it.
Knowing what your training will be like and what your school provides is key to making the right choice for yourself and your future. That’s why we’ve created this post — to help you better understand things like:
- How long does flight school take
- Pilot license classes and other requirements
- Possible career paths after pilot license school
- What private pilot schools, like Pureflight, offer students
Let’s get into it!
What’s a Private Pilot School?
Private pilot schools are educational facilities that teach people how to operate aircraft like planes and helicopters. They’re owned and operated by civilians or companies rather than the government or military.
Each institution is going to have its own unique aspects, but let’s take a 30,000-foot look at pilot license schools.
What’s Going to a Private Pilot School Like?
If you’re like most people, the word school probably makes you think of high school or college. Your time at a private flight school — though similar in some respects — is bound to be a different kind of experience.
There’s not necessarily a “typical day” in flight school. But, here’s what you might expect when you attend a pilot training program at a private aviation academy.
- Prepping for your program. You’ll need to figure out the logistics — where you’re going to go to school, helicopter or airplane training, financing, maybe even housing — and make the necessary arrangements.
- Attending ground school. Before completing your training, you’ll need to learn about aircraft systems, aviation protocols, weather, emergency procedures, and so on. It’s foundational information to ensure you know what to do and how to do it when you’re aloft. You can do ground school and the written test prior to or concurrent with flying lessons.
- Flight lessons! The part you’ve been anticipating for ages — you get to start learning how to fly. This is practical training during which you’ll develop piloting skills.
- Taking care of other requirements. You’ve achieved the requisite flight time. Now you have to get medical clearance, take/pass your exams, and submit your application for your license.
- Getting your certifications. When all properly is said and done, you’ll get your pilot’s license and any additional endorsements for which you qualify.
What’s Included in Tuition for Private Pilot Schools
Each school you’re considering will have its own particular offerings and inclusions.
Usually, your tuition will include classroom instruction, use of a flight simulator, and flight time with an instructor. You’ll probably also get access to tons of resources, support, and career services.
At some schools, your program cost may also cover books and other material or supplies. However, a lot of the course materials you’ll use are available from the FAA for free.
You can anticipate that there will be additional expenses. Flight gear — like a quality headset and flight computer — and supplemental flight instruction to accrue hours will probably not be covered by your tuition. If you require housing, that’s likely outside the scope of your program cost as well.
Foreign students may have costs associated with international study, like transportation, visas, and language study.
Tip: Don’t Forget about Financial Aid!
Going to a private flight school is an investment in your potential. While its cost isn’t insignificant, it could be well worth it for you.
To make it more attainable, many schools offer financial aid. You can also seek financial assistance from other sources. For example, veterans may be able to use their VA benefits (i.e., from the GI Bill) to offset some of the program cost.
How Long Does Private Pilot School Take
This depends on the training you’re taking, the schedule you adopt, and your level of motivation.
- Full-time students generally finish airplane or helicopter flight school programs in about six months.
- Part-time students progress at a slower rate so it will obviously take longer to complete all the necessary steps to get your pilot’s certificate.
Fortunately, many schools offer a variety of programs, schedules, operating days/hours, and other options. This means you should be able to find a school that has the flexibility you need to do your training on your terms and in your desired timeframe.
Careers You Can Pursue after Pilot License School
The sky’s not your limit — it’s just the starting point! With a pilot’s license in hand, you’re qualified for a whole new realm of career opportunities.
Depending upon your particular certification and endorsements, you could become a:
- Commercial airline or air taxi pilot
- Cargo pilot
- Sightseeing pilot
- Video or photography pilot
- Air ambulance pilot
- Firefighting pilot
- Flight instructor
- Search and rescue pilot
- Military pilot
This is just a small example of jobs for helicopter pilots or airplane pilots.
An Elevated Experience at Pureflight
Now that you’re up to speed on all that generalized information, you might wonder how we’re different (and better!) than other aviation training institutions. What sets us above and beyond? Why do students like yourself seek us out?
Pureflight is well-regarded because we provide exceptional value to our students. We do this by:
- Being a 141 airplane flight school
- Assisting students with financial aid, arranging housing, career planning, and more
- Having state-of-the art aircraft and facilities for your pilot training
- Offering a variety of pilot programs to meet your needs and preferences
- Accommodating student’s busy lives and changing schedules (We’re open seven days a week!)
- Enabling students to access the best flight instructors and industry connections
- Building upon our track record of helping students before, during, and after flight school
- Having multiple decades of aviation experience under our wings
- And so much more!
Essentially, we have everything you need to succeed in the most optimal way possible.
Feel free to fly through our FAQs for additional details that are specific to Pureflight.
Pureflight, Helping Your Better Future Take Off
Contact us today — it’s the first step in getting on the flight path you’ve been dreaming of. We’ll answer all your questions and help you find the program that best aligns with your needs. And, before you know it, you’ll be in the pilot’s seat getting cleared for take off….